Friday, May 8, 2009

Failblog, Spider Solitaire, and the Perils of Procrastination

We're enjoying sluggish times, and not enjoying them very much.
-George Herbert Walker Bush

Hello all...sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks, but I've had an absurd amount of work. Right now, I've got a paper on the Cultural Revolution in China due at midnight tonight. It's supposed to be 8 to 12 pages, which should have been no problem given that I had all day to do it. But rather than diligently working I have been procrastinating for hours. I've been doing two things: playing spider solitaire and laughing hysterically at failblog.org in the middle of the library as people look at me like I'm a lunatic.

First off, let me say that spider solitaire on the difficult level might be the hardest fucking game I've ever played. Has any human ever beat this thing? I played for a solid hour, and didn't come close. For some reason, I feel a bizarre correlation between my ability to conquer this beast and my ability to finish my paper. I'm convinced that once I win, the words will come flowing out of me and I'll bang out the paper in 20 minutes. Consequently, if anyone has any strategic advice, I'm all ears.

The second thing that has been taking up my time is failblog. This is a great site, but I wouldn't recommend going on it unless you have a good half-hour to kill. I actually put together my own, modeled after this girl in one of my classes who tried to pass off Wikipedia as a legitimate source. Pretty embarrassing, really. Check it out:
Alright, time to buckle down. I hear Mao Zedong calling my name. Peace...

1 comment:

  1. hey great job fran!!
    (i realize it's hard to put emotion into typing but i hope u realize that it's sarcasm not because your blog is bad but because u told me that this is the kind of comment you'd like)

    ReplyDelete